[LAU] Zyn and the art of jack audio/midi

Atte Andre Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 06:52:44 EDT 2009

cal wrote:

> There's an experimental patch against the 2.4.0 release tarball at
> <http://www.graggrag.com/?q=node/19>.

I played a bit with it, and it seems to work fine. I only selected
patches and played them on the keyboard, though. Someone (Will Godfrey,
perhaps) should stress test it with heavy load and see wht happens.

A thing that struck me as odd: Why do I have to specify my jack
buffersize, when zyn obviously knows what it should be:

[atte at vestbjerg ~]$ zynaddsubfx
<snip>
Sample Rate = 		48000
Sound Buffer Size = 	256 samples
Internal latency = 	5.3 ms
ADsynth Oscil.Size = 	1024 samples

AudioOut, zynNframes 256, zynSamplerate 48000
Error, zynNframes 256 != jack buffer size 128 => bad
Error, failed to open audio out on 'default'

So instead of me having to go "zynaddsubfx -b 128", the program should
know that the only sane buffersize with the running jack server is 128
and then use that.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is new, but I don't seem to remember this...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte