[LAU] Zyn and the art of jack audio/midi

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Aug 1 08:52:17 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 12:52:44PM +0200, Atte Andre Jensen wrote:

> So instead of me having to go "zynaddsubfx -b 128", the program should
> know that the only sane buffersize with the running jack server is 128
> and then use that.

ISTR (but it's years ago - since the LAC where Zyn was
first presented) that Zyn uses FFT based processing for
some of its algorithms. If this is the case and the FFT
size has to be some minimal value then there's a problem
if the jack period is shorter. It's possible to solve
this by using additional RT-threads that run at lower
priority than Jack's one, this is what jconv does. In
some cases there are other solutions as well.

Anyway in a properly designed Jack app there should be
no such thing as a global process lock. The first step
would seem to find out why it is necessary, and try
to find an architecture that doesn't need it .

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.