[LAU] Jack-enabled CLI Player

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Mon Aug 3 15:54:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 16:45 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> What might be a jack-enabled equivalent of:
>
> /usr/bin/ogg123 -d alsa <1>  (<1> is and ogg file, obviously)
>
> Preferrable would be something that will play through jack if the daemon be
> running, alsa not (mplayer can work this way but this is a bit heavy for a
> short file play, i.e., a signal from a program).

mplayer fits the bill perfectly imho and I'm not convinced that it's
that heavy - it actually uses very little memory when just playing a
sound file (mp3, ogg, wave).

If you want a program to have "signal sounds" an external sound player
is bulky regardless of the player used. Jack itself also sounds a bit
overkill. This sounds like the use-case for system sounds, esd, pulse,
etc.

  Sampo