[LAU] How well do thinkpad notebooks work for audio?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 19:01:44 EDT 2009

Malte Steiner wrote:
> I recently setup a Lenovo based video editing laptop (Lenovo is one of
> the few manufacturers still with some notebooks including firewire port
> and non glossy screen) for a friend and wonder what to do with the
> fingerprint reader, isnt that a sort of scanner? Maybe like the early
> consumer ones, like a big mouse you have to draw over a picture on your
> own, anyone remember that times?
> Can you do something fancy, maybe controller stuff with the finderprint
> reader, what data provides the driver?

I had the idea you could use the fingerprint reader as a vertical scroll
wheel. But it turns out the api is too shallow for that - all the raw
data processing is done in firmware. The api just lets you scan a
fingerprint and return a hash type value which can be compared later on
to other scans.

andy