[LAU] ALSA + Intel HDA + (Hauppauge PCIe Combo tv tuner) ??

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Aug 6 03:26:58 EDT 2009

William Case wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:20 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Looking at the kernel source, it appears that the cx23885 driver does
> > not have audio recording support.
> >
> > > The TV tuner and sound card do not seem to be communicating.
> >
> > Is there an audio cable between the tuner's output and the motherboard's
> > line-in (or other analog input)?
>
> No.  There is no physical external line/cable.  My understanding is that
> the PCIe bus is supposed to take care of that now.
> [...] my tv tuner card has no sound output receptacle

The PCIe bus allows devices to communicate with the computer, but not
with each other.  For TV audio to be heard, some software has to record
from the TV card and to play it back on the default sound card.

Steven, what would be needed to add the missing audio recording support
to the cx23885 driver?

Best regards,
Clemens