[LAU] Regular Xruns?

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Thu Aug 6 09:45:13 EDT 2009

On Thursday 06 August 2009 15:51:39 cal wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > Xmms running without the realtime option--this is an older application
> > that seems to want root priviliges to do this. Play is smooth except
> > every 20 minutes.
>
> Have you tried running with set_rlimits?  Not all that difficult to set up
> and works well for oddball situations.

How does this relate to pam's rlimits (these are set up rt, locked memory,
etc, for audio group)?

I have niced these processes negative. Did not help either (sound breakage
during other IO or Xorg activity) or the xruns. Xmms (the old one) scarcely
breaks at all at nice 0.

> You might also check HAL polling with top or htop. I had a similar
> problem on my notebook, QJackCtl reported xruns at regular intervals.
> Htop revealed polling at exactly that interval. I disabled the polling,
> the ticking went away.

There are non-user dbus and hald processes around. Needed for pulseaudio to
start (I do not use it) and for X to restart correctly, apparently.

How do I get rid of polling--where is all this configured?