[LAU] [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:46:04 EDT 2009

Just two observations, only generally related:

If you have an OSX system without the installation discs, and you want
to install a free C/C++ compiler, the *only* way I have found is with
a download of several hundred MB from the official OSX website with
*lots* of extra stuff, examples, docs, developer's tools, for many
different languages. Surely won't matter for the majority of people
who would even consider Mac, but *why*? Why on earth would anyone make
that decision?? Especially considering that it's actually GPL software
created by someone else!

On whether Windows or Mac is more important in pro audio, I haven't
gotten so close to the "professional" audio world, but I went to a
pretty modern university, University of the Arts in Philadelphia, and
right as I was graduating they announced the decision to require ALL
students to purchase MacBooks with their own money. Not just music
students, but theater, dance, sculpture, etc., everyone! I don't know
if such a decision reflects a wide market trend in the art world (in
my mind that's impossible, the trend is towards Linux), but it
indicates some kind of power over Windows.

-Chuckk

http://www.badmuthahubbard.com