[LAU] more AVS/Csound "music"

Garry Ogle garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 17:10:18 EDT 2009

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks to everyone who lent their ears to my latest Csound/AVSynthesis
> excursion. You're all very brave. :)

I don't know, it seems like a few of us are rather keen on this kind of
thing.

> I've placed new versions on-line:
>
>     http://linux-sound.org/audio/studiodave-avs_p01_090805.ogg
>
>     http://linux-sound.org/audio/studiodave-avs_p01_090805.mp3
>
> Not much different, but I reduced the gain on the nasty bits, it sounds
> better now.

subtly but definitely.

> Garry Ogle wrote:
>> If you're gonna publish this as a stand-alone piece - and I think you
>> should - I would tidy the ending up a bit.
>>
>> My inclination would be to crop it at some appropriate point close to
>> the end, and then reprise the quieter part of the beginning.
>>
>> does that make any sense to you?
>>
> I followed your suggestion, G, but I'm not sure I care for the reprise.
> If you like I'll send an OGG/MP3 of that arrangement and you can let me
> know what you think of it. It sounds good, it just doesn't seem to do
> anything special for the piece.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Please do, Ogg is good.
The reason I made that (off-the-cuff) suggestion was that the ending
seemed just a little abrupt. I thought a reprise might fix that and
achieve an increased sense of closure.
I'm picking at very fine details here; it doesn't stand out as a flaw
in the piece. But then, as you surely know, attending to subtle details
can make all the difference.

Regards, G.