[LAU] 96kHz...because I just can't leave well enough alone...

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sat Aug 15 20:10:46 EDT 2009

Having obtained a solid 2ms latency at 48kHz with my Multiface II, I
decided to shoot for 96.  Partially I wondered if it might help with the
loss of high end I was trying to troubleshoot in the earlier post about
impedance matching -- I'm definitely losing treble somewhere.  I've
verified that I can compensate for it coming back into the mixer with
EQ, but the point is, I shouldn't have to.  CD's are only 44.1kHz, and
they have no lack of treble at all.  (Though it does often sound grainy
or metallic to me...still, it's treble.)  I can't imagine a reason that
48kHz should be dulling the top end.

Anyway, the RME should be able to do 96kHz, so whether it solves the EQ
issue or not, I wanted to try it.  This is what I'm getting at just
about any setting in the Jack messages:

apparent rate = 96000
creating alsa driver ...
hw:1,0|hw:1,0|2048|2|96000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
configuring for 96000Hz, period = 2048 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: cannot set hardware parameters for capture
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa

If I set it to 3 periods per buffer, it just changes to:

ALSA: got smaller periods 2 than 3 for capture

All of this sounds like I'm just using parameters that the driver/card
doesn't like.  I'd be grateful for the information if someone who has a
Multiface that works at 96kHz could post their Jack settings.  I'm sure
this must be possible, but I'm apparently just not asking for the right
settings from the interface.  The machine is a 3.2GHz AMD quad, so I've
got plenty of system bandwidth, and the card is the PCI-E version.

Addendum:  This is what I get for not being satisfied.  You'd think I'd
quit when I got solid 48kHz, but nooooo...

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky