[LAU] 96kHz...because I just can't leave well enough alone...

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sun Aug 16 17:19:28 EDT 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 07:10:46PM -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>
>> Having obtained a solid 2ms latency at 48kHz with my Multiface II, I
>> decided to shoot for 96.  Partially I wondered if it might help with the
>> loss of high end I was trying to troubleshoot in the earlier post about
>> impedance matching -- I'm definitely losing treble somewhere.  I've
>> verified that I can compensate for it coming back into the mixer with
>> EQ, but the point is, I shouldn't have to.  CD's are only 44.1kHz, and
>> they have no lack of treble at all.  (Though it does often sound grainy
>> or metallic to me...still, it's treble.)  I can't imagine a reason that
>> 48kHz should be dulling the top end.
>
> It shouldn't, certainly not if you are using RME gear.
> Try to find out where this happens. Next step is to
> measure it, that could provide a hint as to how & why.

It stopped happening when I figured out how to record at 96kHz, but it
still disturbs me that I don't know why.  I don't mind recording at 96
though.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky