[LAU] recording my new band

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 20:07:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Arnold Krille<arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> On Monday 10 August 2009 07:15:59 Loki Davison wrote:
>> I'll probably pic up the presonus or behringer adat mic pre to add to
>> my echo gina.
>
> Do yourself a favour and get the presonus...
>
> Arnold

I ended up going for a 3rd option :)

3 Beyerdynamic opus 83 (pencil condensers) mics to add to my 1 stedman
large condenser.

For the preamp i got  an SM pro ep84. Pretty cheap on ebay, and a
company from Melbourne, Australia so I can go around and complain if
it's not great ;)

http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/preamps/ep84-8-kanal-mikrofonvorverstaerker.html
ADAT option to plug into my echo Gina.

Hopefully the preamp will turn up today so I can try recording the
band. The Beyerdynamic mic's sound fantastic so far. They sound really
clear, crisp and balanced recording my Collings acoustic. From a quick
comparison I think I prefer them over my much more expensive Stedman
large diaphragm condenser.  Though I think the Stedman suits vocals
better.

I have one art tube MP preamp, Should I  run the vocal mic through
this or will the solid state sm pro pre's sound much nicer anyway?

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Loki