[LAU] Simple, fast, easy notation software?

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Aug 19 10:52:46 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 16:51:37 Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday August 19 2009 10.29.45 Ken Restivo wrote:
> > > I have not tested it, but maybe it will be possible to install programs
> > > where speed is not an issue on a USB-stick? ..or is it the RAM that
> > > might be the problem?
> >
> > Well.... I...... tried...... it...... and..... it's..... unusably......
> > slow.....
>
> As I said: life is to short for using Java progs, too bad I was right :-(

I had this discussion with the developer. He said he did not see this problem
on his 2ghz machines, that I with my 500mhz PIII might not find the program
usable.

I do not agree. He is drawing notes rather than using a font. There are faster
graphics libraries around for Java as well and better media libs and methods
as well. Nted uses the cairo library for speed rather than qt for such
reasons. Java can keep its UI thread live and responsive with proper
multithreaded design

For now, Impro-visor is much faster for shorter songs. Keep them short and the
program approaches usability. It needs not do heavy work in notation--the
problem is in the design. Midi play is no good. Again threading and design.
The only functionality I will tolerate the slowness is on composing
improvisations.

The easiest and least fussy alternative is still bad old noteedit.

Nted would be a second if one can tolerate moving notes around in it. Noteedit
has no cut and paste functionality at all. Nted does but ...

Mscore, if the new version has stability problems solved, is a bit heavy and
odd in the UI but is gorgeous. Closest to noteworthy or sibelius around.

Denemo is nice if one can figure out how to enter notes effectively. Feeds
lilypond.

Frescobaldi was mentioned. Use this if you want to polish up lilypond files
from other programs, i.e. noteedit or denemo.