[LAU] Auto-wah plugin

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Wed Aug 19 16:58:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Grammostola Rosea wrote:

> And it would be nice if you could control it with your feet, like a real
> wah...

But... that defeats the purpose of being an _AUTO_-wah, doesn't it?  :-)

A normal wah is foot controlled.  But suppose that every time you strike a
note, you also push your foot forward.  This is not uncommon to do in some
styles of music (esp. rock/funk).

An auto-wah attempts to automate this action based on the signal.  When
it detects an "attack" in the signal, it "pushes the foot foward."  When
it detects a "decay" in the signal, it "rocks the foot back."  Since the
rocking of the wah is being automated it is called an auto-wah.  You're
not supposed to be able to control it with your feet.

Auto-wahs have a slightly different characteristic from, erm... manual
wahs.  And they are typically used by guitar players.  (Like me... who
will try this one out tonight...)

HTH,
Gabriel

p.s. forgive me if you already know all this... but from your last couple
posts, it would seem that you do not.  :-)