[LAU] Simple, fast, easy notation software?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Aug 20 20:13:37 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 09:26:59PM +0200, Atte Andre Jensen wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
> > I'm looking for a simple, fast, easy notation software. The goal is
> > that I can very quickly input a melody line or riff, maybe overlay
> > chord symbols on it, when learning new songs or writing them, so that
> > I don't forget them.
>
> May I suggest (as others already have) abc, in particular the very nice
> abcm2ps (http://moinejf.free.fr/)? It's easy to learn, flexible and
> scales well (I'm even doing big band arrangements in abc).
>
> A simple piano-style composition (of mine) could look like this, which
> is pretty enough for me:
>
> http://web4490.web03.talkactive.net/compositions/piano/regnvejr.pdf

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, advice, and help.

I think it will take me a good deal more research, RTFM'ing, testing, and experimentation before I can pick one and go for it. In the meantime, I'm still hobbling along typing stuff out in emacs. Chords are fine in plain text, but when it comes to melodies with rhythms, ASCII falls flat.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around notedit, nted, and denemo, and I'll add ABC to the list too.

Thanks again.

-ken