[LAU] To improve Linux audio tools: a Blender like idea

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Aug 26 10:28:10 EDT 2009

On 08/26/2009 11:59 PM, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:

>>> Can you name some of them?
>>>

>> Harrison Consoles paid Paul Davis and use ardour in at least some of their
>> consoles. And these consoles are targeted primarily at the film industry afaik.
>> SAE is using ardour in their studios (probably not exclusively).
>> The Studio of Ron Parker (don't remember the website) uses ardour for
>> commercial music production since years.
>> Several keyboard manufacturers have built keyboards running on linux using
>> open source software. (Because some of them don't advertise this, LS has the
>> license it has.)
>>
>> You need more?
>>

> You don't name much pro studio's for recording/mixing/mastering
>
> Yes I need more ;)

It's a hole in our collective knowledge that we don't have an official
list of studios and producers running Linux tools in production systems.

It would be a handy addition if someone wanted to start a wiki page for
that at LAO.

IIRC Fons is running the largest wave field synthesis system in the
world and uses exclusively Linux software including Ardour.

There are several others running Linux audio software as their main
production suite.

Recently we have seen Kim Cascone make the switch and before him another
high profile producer/artist to go exclusively Linux was Alex Stone both
of whom are reknowned in their respective 'genres' of audio production.
We also have Ken Restivo making a lot of headway with his live
performance setup. You can find several producers who are using the
Indamixx system for live performance and portable production.

The studio run by Ron Parker is Mirror Image. Last I heard they weren't
using Linux exclusively but he was a very early adopter.

There is also the Rivendell project which is being used throughout the
world for radio programming and DJing. It's top of the line software in
it's field.

Several people who may not be on this list have produced very high
quality full length albums exclusively with Linux software over the years.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd