[LAU] To improve Linux audio tools: a Blender like idea

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Aug 26 10:33:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 15:59:29 Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> >> Can you name some of them?
> > Harrison Consoles paid Paul Davis and use ardour in at least some of
> > their consoles. And these consoles are targeted primarily at the film
> > industry afaik. SAE is using ardour in their studios (probably not
> > exclusively). The Studio of Ron Parker (don't remember the website) uses
> > ardour for commercial music production since years.
> > Several keyboard manufacturers have built keyboards running on linux
> > using open source software. (Because some of them don't advertise this,
> > LS has the license it has.)
> > You need more?
> You don't name much pro studio's for recording/mixing/mastering
> Yes I need more ;)

I don't know any studios doing linux audio apart from Ron Parkers. But then I
don't know any music studios apart from Ron Parkers.
I know they exists because several of them seem to have said so on LAU or in
the ardour-list in the past.

And if I can only convince you by hard numbers, I doubt that anyone will ever
convince you. Not because of conspiracies but because it is _very_ difficult to
get a good overview of the market (you have to have applications that phone
home or sell dongled software to do so) and even then you get studios using
several competing products. And because ardour is neither phoning home, nor
sold with a dongle or personalized code, there are probably only little
numbers (apart from downloads which don't say much). And if these numbers
aren't personalized, you won't know how many of them are studios. So there
aren't any numbers to convince you. But then again you couldn't tell absolute
numbers of studios using blender either...

So there isn't more unless you spy into every pro studio in amerca/the world/
the universe...

So long,

Arnold