[LAU] ableton live in vmware

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Aug 28 07:44:23 EDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm happy to state that hydrogen IS able to play multiple patterns at the same
>> time. In hydrogen 0.9.4 we call that "stacked pattern mode". At the moment
>> you have to select the patterns with your mouse.
>
> Wow, I hadn't put two and two together on that new feature. That is a
> massive chunk of the necessary functionality for AL like performance in
> place now.
>
> Can you expand a little on how to create a pattern stack?

1. Start hydrogen (current SVN or 0.9.4-RC2)

2. Put it in pattern mode.  Enable looping.

3. Edit Patterns 1, 2, and 3.

4. At the top of the patterns list, there's a button with
    a single line.  The flyover will say "stacked pattern
    mode."  Click it so that there are two lines, thus
    entering stacked pattern mode.  You'll notice a little
    arrow beside Pattern 1.

5. Press start.  Pattern 1 will start to loop.

6. While Pattern 1 is playing, Ctrl+LMB Pattern 2.  When
    Pattern 1 loops, it will be *with* Pattern 2.

7. Now Ctrl+LMB Pattern 3.  At the end of the current
    cycle, it will also start playing.

8. Now Ctrl+LMB Pattern 2.  At the end of the current
    cycle, Pattern 2 will *stop* playing.

HTH,
Gabriel