[LAU] Command-line midi player with fast forward, pause, rewind?

Alexandre Ratchov alex at caoua.org
Fri Aug 28 09:11:52 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:06:51PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> I'd love to find a command-line MIDI file player that will
> use ALSA MIDI (not its own internal synth), and also will
> accept arrow keys or some other key commands on stdin to
> fastforward, rewind, pause, play, etc.

recent midish versions can almost do that, but not with the
arrow keys, unfortunately.  It's controlled from stdin,
supports start/stop and relocate (for rewind/fastforward).

ex:

	dnew 0 "28:0" wo	# use 28:0 port for output
	import "myfile.mid"	# import file to play
	p			# play
	s			# stop
	g 17			# go to measure #17

when you change the position, it restores the states of all
controllers and handles the note-off events of skipped
notes.

HTH,

-- Alexandre