[LAU] bass amp simulator

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sun Aug 30 20:44:10 EDT 2009

Has anyone found any plugins (preferably Linux-native, not wineasio or
vst) that do a decent job with bass amp simulation?  I've achieved a
pretty good mic'ed cabinet sound with a real mic'ed cabinet, but I'm
afraid the problem in my apartment at night is the mic'ed cabinet.
Even something that does a good enough job for scratchpad takes would be
nice.  I currently have a Whirlwind Director direct box, and I've not
been impressed with it much.  Maybe there are better direct boxes?

On the other hand...I seem to be one of the few people I know who has
not yet tried a Line6 Bass Pod.  Are they really any good for amp
simulation?  I am after fairly natural bass tones by the way, nothing
that puts your bass through distortion or makes it sound like a
spaceship....

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky