[LAU] ableton live in vmware

Michael Bohle opendaw at jacklab.org
Mon Aug 31 11:13:15 EDT 2009

----- original Nachricht --------

Betreff: Re: [LAU] ableton live in vmware
Gesendet: Mo, 31. Aug 2009
Von: Brett McCoy<idragosani at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Michael Bohle<opendaw at jacklab.org> wrote:
>
> > Live 8 is Seq24, Sooperlooper, Ardour and Rosegarden, together with jack
> rack and hydrogen, zynaddsubfx and linuxsampler, guitarrack and xjadeo....
> but Live is more then the single pieces: together in one app with "total
> recall", a perfect workflow.
>
> For me, this is the beauty of working in Linux for pro audio is
> because I am not forced into anyone's workflow except my own... I can
> pick and choose the individual pieces I want to interconnect and make
> my own custom modular DAW ...

I've tried to see this beauty 4 years and I was blinded by the beauty of this concept so I wasn't able to find a "flow" to work with Linux audio. There was no flow, there was no concept, just a collection of good ideas under the hood of JACK. OK the beauty is often behind the interface. But I was blind ;)

So I have the feeling you are declare the lack of concept to beauty, sorry, I'm blind.

>I realize this isn't for everyone, who
> want to have everything in one app... but I find it hard to work in
> the Windows world because I can't really pick and choose little pieces
> of functionality of what I want to build and expect them all to work
> together easily. The Windows world seems more fixated on plugins and
> they can be cumbersome (standalone version of some plugins perform
> much better when they aren't running inside a host)

A host application with plugins is not more or less then an "modular" environment for putting together the pieces into one interface. An good example is "Plogue Bidule" (for Mac and Windows) - as an modular host versus Logic, Ardour or Cubase as a classic daw oriented host. But together channel strips, audio processing, sequencing, recording, make routings.

In the commercial audio world I have the freedom to choose between different tools and concepts to find my unique workflow. Live supports my (and thousands of other musicians) workflow.

The limitations of Linux Audio (not at least starting with the RT kernel) urge me to be a frickler (nerd) with all this workarounds and bugs. it supports me in to know more about computer and software, but it didn't support my "stupid artist i want to make music and a video" workflow.

Windows is no option for me, because it is a tasteless copy of OSX and an unfriendly, sadistic OS. ;) But most of the Windows Live user reporting that Windows and Live are a good team.

In the world of semi professional audio/media production  I have no choice, there is only one OS supporting all the need of a platform for a painless creative workflow, thats OS X, Linux mostly used as file server, render farm, recording slave or number cruncher, but with a Mac as master controller, My opinion and experience. But with a cool "Live" like app could be an option for many people.

Michael