[LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Aug 31 21:19:06 EDT 2009

On 09/01/2009 10:56 AM, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Paul Davis<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Rui Nuno Capela<rncbc at rncbc.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> on my own confession, during lac2007 presentation, making a live clone
>>> was indeed my initial goal for qtractor. it still is, as much of a
>>> foundation it can be.
>>>
>> it might be worth you knowing that the heart of live is realtime
>> granular (re)synthesis, all the time, everywhere (or at least it was a
>> while ago). i suspect that you cannot do what live does without this
>> as the basic model of audio output. i could be wrong.
>>
> I have to admit complete ignorance here, but what is it about Live
> that makes it advantageous over DAWs like Ardour, Reaper, Sonar, Pro
> Tools, etc? Is it primarily loop/clip/synth based rather than a hard
> disk recorder/mixer like a traditional DAW?

That's part of it and it also has a very efficient user interface model
that seems to be intuitive for a lot of people. it's not too "candy" to
be a toy but it's not too hard to be threatening. Although I find that
most people I know who use it do so because someone famous they know
does and they want to make music similar to that person. They often
complain about finding it time consuming to get their head around the
complete system but as they are able to quickly make baby steps that is
a big confidence builder and they feel it is worth the effort to
understand the system if they can get close to emulating their musical
heros.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd