[LAU] Possible to have realistic guitar strumming sounds using my keyboard?

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 05:58:10 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 17:30 +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
>> 2009/12/1 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>
>>
>>         So my basic question is, how would you produce as realistic a
>>         guitar
>>         strum as possible using an electronic keyboard with the
>>         requisite sound
>>         banks? Or should I give it up and just record my guitar
>>         directly (neck
>>         needs straightening...)?
>>

>> Here we have that problem again. I mean, how much are we trying to
>> emulate things these days and getting away with it? I can tell a
>> sampled guitar from expensive records pretty quickly, and it annoys me
>> as fast. I _have_ heard _some_ with excellent results though - I
>> wouldn't be able to tell if I weren't informed. Those are fine, but
>> the majority aren't.
>>

>> A keyboard cannot duplicate the feel and awesomeness of a guitarist,
>> his guitar, and a Neumann off-axis, period ;)
>>
> No arguments here on the last sentence. I'd still like to know how
> feasible it is though, and if anyone has any pointers. Basically, to put
> it very bluntly, I'm a much better keyboardist than guitarist =p.

Here's some quick stuff I found via google:

http://www.karma-lab.com/karma/What_Is_KARMA.html

"The technology has been designed to generate unique musical effects
in real-time, allowing effortless creation of spectacular cascades of
complex interweaving notes, techno arpeggios and effects, dense
rhythmic and melodic textures, natural sounding glissandos for
acoustic instrument programs, guitar strumming and finger-picking
simulations, random effects, auto-accompaniment effects, gliding and
swooping portamento and pitch bend effects, and new sound design
possibilities. It has been designed to be not only a valuable tool for
proficient musicians, but a means of interactively controlling music
generation for people of any level of musical skill, including no
musical knowledge whatsoever."

See also the Oasys STR-1:

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/oasys/ws_oasys6.asp

"The STR-1 Plucked String is a physical model which allows you to
pluck, strike, scrape, or otherwise "excite" the string with 16
different "pluck" types, noise, or any of the onboard or RAM-based PCM
waveforms."

Here's an Oasys demo - I'm not a guitar player so while it sounds like
decent strumming to me - ymmv :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyQgao-UzM

Here's an M3 strumming demo, a cheaper korg model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqTDAdQjwb8

Here's the GenoQs Octopus doing strumming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jLyZ8e3tM

The latter is "also called "the Chris Franke" effect" , not sure why
but I'm a huge tangerine dream fan.

- R