[LAU] Possible to have realistic guitar strumming sounds using my keyboard?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Dec 1 13:41:20 EST 2009

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 04:42 am, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> No arguments here on the last sentence. I'd still like to know how
> feasible it is though, and if anyone has any pointers. Basically, to put
> it very bluntly, I'm a much better keyboardist than guitarist =p.

Years ago I was able to do what I considered to be passable downstrums
after practicing a lot, but even then, I'd only want to use those as
accents in a song otherwise carried by keyboard sounds, not as actual
rhythm guitar parts -- if it's possible to simulate alternating downstrums
and upstrums fast enough to do that, it would have to be done by someone
who's a much better player than I am.  I think the key is to make sure you
keep in mind what is and isn't possible on a guitar.  The subset of that
that's also possible on a keyboard is what you have to work with.  I ended
up buying a basic acoustic/electric for a hundred bucks, and as poor as I
am at guitar, I still do better with it.  (Getting a good recording of it
is what makes me still not do it very often.)

I vaguely remember that there was some Windows software that would
"strumify" MIDI chords for you back in the 90s in non-realtime, and the
demos sounded pretty passable, but I never tried that.

Rob