[LAU] Cooking with Gas

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 2 01:55:29 EST 2009

Folderol wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:10:36 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Folderol wrote:
>>
>>> This is a set of ZynAddSubFX tutorials produced by the man himself.
>>>
>>> I can recommend them all, and be prepared to be amazed :O
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/zynaddsubfx
>> Too bad they're not a format that can be kept handy and readily referred
>> to as desired - like text? Oh, that's right, nobody knows how to read
>> anymore.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
> Are you serious?
>
> The guy who designed this synth, putting an enormous amount of work
> into it, and now has gone to even more effort to produce these
> tutorials, happens to be Romanian. What language would you like the
> text to be in? Maybe you could go over there and, at your own expense,
> give him lessons in the dialect of your choice.

Text can be translated very easily, doesn't have to be done by the
person doing the speaking. Once it's done, it's done - the translation
is always available. But anything spoken/recorded in one language needs
to be interpreted by someone else every time someone who doesn't speak
the presenter's language. The only way around that is for multiple
versions of the video,

> Also, I'd be extremely interested to hear your thoughts about how to
> demonstrate a *sound* as text.

Sounds can be demonstrated quite easily via the same web that we use to
watch YouTube vids ... a simple link on a text page is sufficient for that.

> Sheesh. The stuff is free in every sense of the word and all you can do
> is complain.

Free or fee, the silly belief that learning is best done via video is
something I complain about. And I used to do technology training for a
living, so I know about the strengths/weaknesses of the various ways of
delivering training.

My only small request with Zyn would be he somehow find a way to fix its
ability to just freeze up, quite responding, and turn into a zombie ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community