[LAU] Another finished Linux/monome track: "something wrong with your feet"

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed Dec 2 16:11:01 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:17:51PM -0500, Will Light wrote:
> Hey again everyone,
> I recently participated in a remix project (no winner or prizes, just
> for fun) started on the monome.org forums.  The gist was that
> everybody participating submitted a sample no more than 30 seconds
> long, everybody received a zip pack of all the samples, and the final
> tracks could only consist of samples from the pack (excluding the
> sample that the participant him/herself submitted).  The turnout was
> upwards of 20, so there was plenty of material to work with, and it
> was tons of fun.
>
> An additional stipulation was that the final submission should utilize
> a monome in some way (if you are not familiar with the monome, I would
> highly suggest reading about it at http://monome.org/series/).  I
> opted to export all the loops from my project and load them into rove,
> an application I wrote for loop-slicing with monome devices.  In
> essence, each row of buttons (except the top) represents one loop of
> audio, and the lit button represents the playhead.  Each loop is a
> member of a choke group from which only one loop may be playing at a
> time.  The first n buttons from the left on the top row light up when
> that group number is playing, and functions as a "stop" button for
> that group.
>
> The entire process of producing this remix was done on Linux, using
> Renoise for the sample mangling (and paulstretch a few times, as well)
> and my libmonome and rove projects for the final performance (both of
> which can be cloned from my github account,
> http://github.com/visinin).
>
> I have both audio and video up of the performance I submitted.  Though
> the video's not very visually interesting, I'd still recommend giving
> it a watch.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlAFG7MA8o
>
> http://soundcloud.com/visinin/something-wrong-with-your-feet
> http://visinin.com/~will/vsn-something_wrong_with_your_feet.ogg

Wow, another great track! Very nice arrangement. And great to see how you did it on video too.

It's good to see someone using a Monome in Linux. In fact, I think this is the first Monome video I've ever seen. Mostly it's been Mac guys (Daedelus, etc.)

That guitar sample is very evocative, sounds a bit like the Mermen.

You might want to get this stuff out to the clubs, do some live sets, and see how it goes over. I'll bet you'll have 'em dancing.

-ken