[LAU] hardware & distro recos for using with Presonus Firepod?

Mac McIlvaine ussndmac at charter.net
Fri Dec 4 06:46:11 EST 2009

>Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:48:31 -0800
>From: Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists at gmail.com>
>Subject: [LAU] hardware & distro recos for using with Presonus
>	Firepod?
>To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org

>Hi folks, my machine just died so it's time to shop for a new one,
and might
>as well kick the tires on distros at the same time. Can anyone give
my their
>recommendations (and stay-away-froms) for a microATX factor board/chip
combo
>that will work well for setting up a linux audio workstation to
be used with
>a Presonus Firepod?
>
>Anyone have experiences to share re the Ubuntu Studio 9.10 and the
Firepod?
>( or other presonus firewire cards ).

I have successfully had twin Firepods running on Ubuntu 9.04 with
the custom rt kernel. I was never able to have non-xrun recording
otherwise.

The only hardware that seems critical is the firewire chipset. The
TI chipset seems to work fine, other not so much.

I don't have an opinion on the cpu or mobo, have used both intel
and amd. (googling "don't use this particular model#" in this application
is always a good idea.)

I have not attempted 9.10 (either vanilla or Ubuntu Studio) I'm in
the middle of a big mastering job and don't have time to fool with
the "oh, well build this and tweak that stuff that always seems to
result when changing things.