[LAU] Linux netlabel?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Dec 7 21:28:41 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 10:36:41AM +1100, Leigh Dyer wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
>> So much good stuff coming out these days on the LAU list; I have to wonder if anyone's looked into starting a Linux-based netlabel? i.e. artists who are working with Linux specifically. There might be enough critical mass at this point-- or soon-- to make such a venture viable.
>>

> Would a better way to approach this to be to develop a web app for
> hosting music, which people can then install on their own sites?
> Currently I've cobbled something together on my own using Wordpress and
> a Flash-based streaming applet, but something like an open-source
> equivalent of bandcamp.com that's easy to set up and use, and which
> could potentially even use HTML5 for streaming, could be very cool.
>
> Is ccHost already somewhat along these lines?

There are lots of options for free hosting; I use archive.org, personally.

The good thing about Bandcamp is that you can sell hard-copy CD's, or charge for tracks.

I'm thinking of a netlabel more from a promotion standpoint and possibly some way of generating some revenue too. The level of "finished" production I'm hearing from the tracks made with Linux these days is more and more often of commercial/sellable quality.

-ken