[LAU] all-track splice and move in Ardour

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Dec 7 21:32:59 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:55:24PM +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Tapani Sysimets? schrieb:
> > Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> On 12/08/2009 04:29 AM, Brent Busby wrote:
>
> >> Can you select the regions, duplicate/copy,  drag to the new start
> >> point, then cut the old parts out of the mix and readjust the following
> >> material to the new start point? I think this will work across multiple
> >> tracks.
> >>

> > Hi, that should work indeed. I've done it by moving playhead to the
> > starting point of the to-be-moved section of the song, hitting Ctrl+A,
> > then hitting S ....
>
> Sounds pretty complicated to me. Why not:
>
> Zoom to whole project.
> Select all regions
> left-click hold them and drag them to the right
> select all regions that should be moved to the start
> left-click hold them and drag them to the left
> repeat until all pieces are in place...
>
> I did this some 10-12 times, it is perfectly safe. You need to make
> sure, that you really select everything so unhide hidden tracks that
> hold any regions before. The only problem is, that you loose automations
> for these are bound to the time-line and not to a region....

If you're just trying to cut a project in two:

1) Put a marker in for your chop point, save, and close the project.
2) "cp -a" the original project directory to a new directory.
3) Open the new directory, and delete everything on one side of the marker. Just select it, and delete, easy. Save. Close the project.
4) In the  old project, delete everything on the other side of the marker. Save.

You now have two projects, one of which is "up to such-and-such point", and the other is "after such-and-such point".

-ken