[LAU] Linux netlabel?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Dec 11 02:02:01 EST 2009

On 12/11/2009 05:23 PM, david wrote:
> Hartmut Noack wrote:

>>> I think bandcamp was a valid point regarding bandwidth. For instance I
>>> had 400+ plays of modlys songs the last week + a few downloads, and I'm
>>> just little me. Supposed someone got really popular with, say 10x the
>>> traffic of little me. Supposed you hosted 10 of such artist...
>>>
>>> My math might be wrong, but with 4MB/song that would be about 4 * 40000
>>> / 1024 = 156 Gb in a week. Even without download of albums in high
>>> quality, I feel that might be taxing on most hostings. Or would you,
>>> Hartmut, be prepared to handle such a load? I might be totally wrong,
>>> and this load could be peanuts...
>>>
>> OK - not really peanuts but not fearsome either. I got 2000 Gigs in my
>> contract and with say 16.000 plays per day(that is: near the limit), one
>> could seriously think about an upgrade to a contract with unlimited
>> traffic. I use this box for my job-purposes so I pay for it anyway, as
>> of now using only a tiny fraction of the traffic included.
>> And don`t you think, that with 15.000 users per day, all of them
>> interested enough to play songs from it - could it not be possible, that
>> one could make some revenue with such a site, that would pay for its
>> bandwith and maybe even for the hosted artists? ;-)
>>
> Hmm, I think my family's hosting plan has 1TB/month transfer. Through
> GoDaddy.com.

It's not just the size of the hosting plan it also the amount of
connections that can be made and the speed of the pipe...

Still it would be possible to cobble something together from a bunch of
different hosts to provide enough bandwidth to meet the potential
transfer requirements.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd