[LAU] Behold! The Web2.0 is here. Linux Audio Facebook Group

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Dec 12 03:24:05 EST 2009

Malte Steiner wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't do Facebook. What use are sites that require you to
>> become a member just to see things? ;-)
>>
> thats a good issue to bring up. Same happen at the puredata list where
> someone suggest to use GoogleWave.

I'm on GoogleWave. It has potential, not yet realized. It might be
interesting to explore collaboration via GoogleWave - it's realtime chat
(with multiple threading!), makes sharing files very easy, and hooks the
files right into the corresponding part of the wave.

It is really pushing the capabilities of the most modern browsers,
though, and is definitely still an alpha product.

> What is the benefit of all these WebX.0 things?

Jury's still out on that. Web X.0 covers a whole range of things - not
just the "social web" (Facebook, MySpace, etc) or the "business social
web" (LinkedIn, etc). goodreads.com is a nicely-realized Web 2.0
application.

> I guess none, nothing which couldnt be done before,

True, but some of it couldn't be done so conveniently and by
non-technical people.

> but
> anyway I think it is important to be visible there, to show that there
> are alternatives possible.

That's a big benefit if the purpose is to encourage the use of FLOSS
software and Linux in particular amongst the big world of audio.
Certainly, if a non-Linux user comes upon some Linux-using musician's
work and goes, "Wow, that's good stuff!" and thinks of (or hopefully
acts on) checking out Linux for audio use, cool.

Even if they just decide to plunk down some money and buy the music, it
helps $upport Linux-using musicians.

> For a lot of newsgates like
> createdigitalmusic/motion or Matrixsynth Linux audio and open source
> alternatives seems not to happen or not that interesting while Ableton
> and MaxForLive is all over the place. I would like to know what is the
> benefit for them to provide the industry so much exposure, assuming they
> doing it for free? Advertisment space?

I think it reflects the fact that there are far more users of Ableton
and the other big commercial audio apps than there are of Linux audio
apps. Although I met someone a few weeks ago who has been a
Windows-based audio user for over 8 years - and had NEVER heard of
Ableton Live!

Or (the negative side of me) could it be that they don't have to
struggle with configuring their systems to make music, so they have more
time to do things like participate on the social web? ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community