[LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Dec 12 12:09:51 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:24:22AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Indeed. I think the ll issue is of real importance when recording. At 64
> ms multitrack recording/playback is a not very satisfying experience.

As long as you are recording sources that originate outside
the computer (i.e. soundcard inputs, either mics or instruments)
there *should* be no problem. The DAW needs to shift any
material recorded while listening to existing tracks by
the round-trip latency, and for a punch in/out be a bit
clever with monitoring. All this can be automatic, and
if done correctly a player will *never* notice any delay.

Things get more hairy when using sources generated on the
PC. But then just playing them with 64ms latency is the
real problem.

Ciao,

--
FA