[LAU] [OT] recommended partition manager ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:35:19 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My laptop has seen a variety of installs over the past year, and I now
> have a fair amount of delegated but unused disk space. Is there a
> recommended procedure or program that can re-acquire that space for my
> Karmic installation ? I've never repartitioned a disk *after* an
> installation, so I'm a bit nervous about the process. Advice is needed
> and welcome.
>
> TIA,
>
> dp

Dave,
   Try the gparted live CD. Works fine even on disks with NTFS in my experience.

  Granted, it's a bit scary nearly every time I use it, but it works
and it's never apparently hurt my machines. I usually go step by step.
I'll remove or resize down one partition that I'm least interested in
and then I'll reboot every installation and make sure things look
good. Then I'll boot the CD again and do the next step. I prefer to be
silly-paranoid when using it. I go very slow and carefully think about
each step, but as I say I've never had anything go wrong so I'm happy
to recommend it.

Good luck,
Mark