[LAU] Amixer lowest level

Peter Plessas plessas at mur.at
Tue Dec 15 02:43:05 EST 2009

Dear List,

when decreasing the master volume of my HDA-Intel [1] card using amixer:

amixer set 'Master' 3- dB

I can't get to minus infinity (silent). -46.50dB is the lowest possible
value, and I can still hear sound coming from its output. I know that I
can mute the output but want to do this with one single key shortcut
(hence executing one command as the one above) to fade down the master
volume until silence.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work? Is there a script around
that queries the actual value of the master volume and decides whether
to decrease it further or issue the 'mute' command from amixer?

Thanks for any suggestions!

PP

[1]Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family)