[LAU] jack/firewire block apps from using buildin soundcard

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:16:58 EST 2009

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

> When qjackctl opens, jack is usually started (AFAIK).

Not necessarily...

 > Pulseaudio, for
> better integration with JACK, gives up control of the soundcard to JACK
> whenever JACK starts. This is not an error, its by design. The idea is,
> if you're using JACK, you want it to have the soundcard, not pulse.
>
> AFAIK, however, pulse only gives up a soundcard if jack takes it. This
> should not happen if qjackctl doesn't start jack (I believe it does
> start jack though).

First: I setup qjackctl to *not* start jack, and indeed it isn't, at
least jack clients started up with qjackctl open, but jack not started,
complains that jack is not running.

Second: Firefox (let's take that as an example) uses the buildin
soundcard, and qjackctl/jack is using the firewire card.

If jack is running I'm of course not expecting non-jack apps to be able
to access the soundcard that jack is using, but this is not the case here...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk