[LAU] /dev/hpet is missing

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Wed Dec 16 18:42:58 EST 2009

>> For some reason, even though HPET is configured into this kernel,
>> /dev/hpet does not exist.  Do I really need it, and if so, how do I fix it?
>>
> What does cat /proc/driver/rtc tell you?
>
> On my system it says HPET is emulated.

jeb at jebslinux:~$ cat /proc/driver/rtc
rtc_time    : 17:37:11
rtc_date    : 2009-12-16
alrm_time    : **:**:53
alrm_date    : ****-**-**
alarm_IRQ    : no
alrm_pending    : no
24hr        : yes
periodic_IRQ    : no
update_IRQ    : no
HPET_emulated    : no
DST_enable    : no
periodic_freq    : 1024
batt_status    : okay
jeb at jebslinux:~$

Am rather curious now.  I checked the .config of my kernel by a grep -i
hpet, and find:

CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_HPET=y
CONFIG_HPET_MMAP=y

Should CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC be set to n on a realtime kernel?  Is
there something else which might invalidate CONFIG_HPET=y ?

J.E.B.