[LAU] How do I install kernel 2.6.32

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 06:14:30 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 22:23 +0000, james morris wrote:
> On 16/12/2009, "Martin Horn" <martin.horn at ostec.org> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I need a 2.6.32 kernel for my soundcard to run, but I can't find it by:
>
> For what reason?

This is the important question.

> >apt-cache search linux-headers
> >
> >only 2.6.28 is available on my ubuntustudio 8.04 machine and 2.6.31 on my
> >64studio 3.0 machine.
> >
> >How can I get a 2.6.32-rt kernel? Do I have to compile it myself?
>
> By Downloading the 2.6.32 kernel source and then downloading a patch
> (which does not exist yet) to make it rt.

You should NOT do this on Ubuntu Studio (or any Ubuntu) unless you want
to fix real borkage. Try upgrading to the latest Ubuntu Studio, it may
have 2.6.31 at least (not sure on whether they have 2.6.32, maybe in the
latest alpha?).

A bit of an explanation, in Ubuntu (like most distros) the kernel
version and various packages in the system are closely tied together,
such that a jump from 2.6.28 to 2.6.32 is likely to result in quite a
few problems.