[LAU] MIDI Playback freezes

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Thu Dec 17 16:01:01 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Sean Corbett
<seanbutnotheard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:
>> A followup to my earlier post. I had no freezes for about 2 weeks.
>> This week it's done it 3 times.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Probably easiest to just did out
>> the USB->MIDI connector which always seems to work just fine.
>
> Is it possible for you to try a different kernel?  In the past I've
> had a random-freezing problem on one of my machines with several of
> Ubuntu's kernels, but it goes away when I use the 64 Studio or Arch
> Linux kernel.  Though in my case it seemed to correlate with heavy I/O
> activity (disk access, mainly).

Okay -- good idea.

BTW, this is a very underused machine. When the freeze happens it's
just running an X display and running aplaymidi (and the "normal"
background stuff).

I've got 2.6.31-16-generic giving me the grief and have 14 and 15 in
the same series on my computer. I could easily boot with 15 to see if
that solves anything ... but, with the "only sometimes" problem it's a
bit of a duck shoot.

I see in my synaptic that there is also a 386 kernel ... would that be
any better/worse? I'm running a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core
Processor 4800+ . I think that when I installed ubuntu/karmic it
picked the "generic" for me. Also see that there is a RT kernel in the
repository. Anyone have comments on that choice?

In the meantime, I'll reboot with 15-generic and see if that works for
a day or so...

Also, can I download and run the 64 Studio or Arch kernels onto my
existing karmic installation?

Thanks.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****