[LAU] xrun killer: --sync on jack2

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Fri Dec 18 08:27:09 EST 2009

I think I've got it :-)  Muchas gracias to Joakim Hernberg, who posted
the jack2 profiling document.  I read it about five times, trying to
ponder what my first step might be given that info.  It discusses two
major modes of jack2:  the default, which is asynchronous, and another,
which is synchronous.  Under asynch, my stress-test yields zero xruns
(or close) at 5.3 ms (as reported in Qjackctl); but under synch, my last
two tests say kosher at 0.667 ms *grin*  Shocking.  That synch makes a
whole lot of difference.  I can just imagine jack2 jockeying all four
CPUs to make that happen :-)  I'll be doing a lot more stress-testing to
prove it, but for right now, frames/period are 64, sample rate 192000,
two periods/buffer :-) :-)  I praise the Lord, and I thank everyone for
the help!

J.E.B.