[LAU] New music: Shoegaze

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:45:41 EST 2009

Thanks for listening!

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Atte André Jensen
<atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> James Stone wrote:
>
>> All recorded with Renoise:
>>
>> http://drop.io/mcrx9js
>
> Sounds ok, but the distorted sounds are much too loud, about 4-8 db. I
> don't like the downwards bend, maybe do a little less of it.

Ah. OK.. but maybe that's part of the style.. Vocals buried, too loud
distorted guitars, weird pitch bends sounding like tape issues.. Not
sure if you know the sound but listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LseSx_hPJyQ

(and the related songs from that album)

to get an idea of what I was aiming for.

But I agree it all sounds amazingly over-loud despite being <0 dB overall.

Personally I like the pitch bending, but not 100% sold on the
distortion, so I will attempt some more alterations.

>> One thing I'm not totally happy with is the "fizzy" distortion.
>
> Did you try the cabinet simulation in the 2.5 beta? I think they are
> pretty good, although I didn't try emulating "real" distortion...

Not yet - I'm using a demo version, so no access to that.. Still, I'm
really sold on the program - particularly the vocal capture bit - so I
will probably buy full version (and get access to the beta) in the new
year once I feel I'm allowed to spend money on myself again!

James