[LAU] New music: Shoegaze

Ernie Dulanowsky ernst at pulsewidth.ca
Fri Dec 18 15:43:26 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:29:37 +0000
> James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Here is my last track of the year (although probably not finished).
> > Early 90's shoegaze style with lots of nods in the direction of the
> > likes of My Bloody Valentine, and probably/maybe some Goth influences
> too??
> >
> > All recorded with Renoise:
> >
> > http://drop.io/mcrx9js
> >
> > As always, comments and criticisms gratefully received..
> >
> > One thing I'm not totally happy with is the "fizzy" distortion. I think
> > this might just be a result of using the computer rather than a valve
> > amp, but I'm particularly interested in improving this aspect...
> >
> > James
>
> First, I must say I don't know this style at all, even so I found the
> distortion far too heavy and prominent. I had to really struggle to
> hear anything else.
>
> --
> Will J Godfrey
> http://www.musically.me.uk
> Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
> Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.

Hi everyone:

This is a pretty good attempt at a shoegaze sound, but something is kind of
off.
I'm guessing that's based on how it was produced. to me it sounds like some
sort of
80s style minimal synth/darkwave, which isn't a bad thing.

To me, the 'distorted' part sounded less like distortion and more like a
synth with a
wide open filter. Perhaps that's the fizziness referred to earlier.

Now, I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that for this style
of music
this piece is almost too clean and parts are relatively distinct. MBV's epic
'Loveless'
was actually mixed in mono, maybe that helps to get a more authentic
shoegaze sound.

In closing, thanks for trying something that is probably an overlooked style
on this list.

cheers,
ernst

--