[LAU] New music: Shoegaze

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Dec 18 19:31:54 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, James Stone wrote:

> Here is my last track of the year (although probably not finished).
> Early 90's shoegaze style with lots of nods in the direction of the
> likes of My Bloody Valentine, and probably/maybe some Goth influences too??

Pretty nice... thanks for sharing.

> One thing I'm not totally happy with is the "fizzy" distortion. I think
> this might just be a result of using the computer rather than a valve
> amp, but I'm particularly interested in improving this aspect...

Especially after listening to the MBV link you posted, I
think you're pretty close with this sound.  (I'll call it
the "guitar" part... even though I think it's a synth.)
Prob. all you need to do is turn down the mids... maybe add
a stereo delay with a very short delay (20-100 ms), and a
different delay time for L/R.  (BTW, I'm a guitar player...)

Also, I think you need to turn up the bass and the drum
parts a lot (compared to your distortion sound).  Maybe for
the bass part, take off the distortion.  This may mean you
have to turn down the "guitar" part a little bit.  Also
consider adding a little more motion to the bass line.

The vocals being a little low is fine... but they should
maybe stand out a /little/ more.  If you turn down the mids
on the "guitar" part... I think it will help in this area,
too.

I like the reverb on the drums a lot. :-)

HTH,
Gabriel