[LAU] midi capture of external hardware over usb

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 12:32:14 EST 2009

Hi all,

I have a Korg Oasys synth that has some digital based drums, and a
Jomox xbase 999 analog drum machine, which also has an analog filter.
I'd like to use some of the preset drum patterns on the Oasys as a
starting point, and play them on the Jomox via midi and run the output
thru the analog filter.

Problem is: The MIDI notes on the jomox aren't the same as the kit I
want to use in the Oasys. I have a midisport 2x2 that works fine in
linux (opensuse 11.2) . I have jackd seemingly running properly. I'd
like to capture the MIDI coming out of the Oasys, capture it on linux
into perhaps a midi file, and then edit the notes so that they match
the kit on the Jomox. If that plan makes sense, once I get to that
point I could use any midi sequencer to get the pattern to the jomox.

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Googling brought me to Qtractor and CSound for midi capture, but they
don't seem to be the right tool for midi capture over usb. If they
are, any pointers would be helpful.