[LAU] midi capture of external hardware over usb

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 13:39:32 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabriel at teuton.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, robert lazarski wrote:
>
>> linux (opensuse 11.2) . I have jackd seemingly running properly. I'd
>> like to capture the MIDI coming out of the Oasys, capture it on linux
>> into perhaps a midi file, and then edit the notes so that they match
>> the kit on the Jomox. If that plan makes sense, once I get to that
>> point I could use any midi sequencer to get the pattern to the jomox.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some advice on this?
>
> Simplest solution I can think of:
>
> 1. Use arecordmidi (ALSA) to record the output of the MIDI
>   port to a SMF (simple midi file).

I'm trying arecordmidi for now, but nothing is happening. With the
Oasys connected to the Jomox, the wrong notes are being played as
explained but it produces sound. See my shell output below with the
Oasys connected to the midisport:

/root> jackd -d alsa &
jackd 0.116.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
[3] 24613
[dhcppc0(root)]
 /root> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

[dhcppc0(root)]
 /root> arecordmidi -l
 Port    Client name                      Port name
 14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
 16:0    M Audio Audiophile 24/96         M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI
 24:0    MidiSport 2x2                    MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 1
 24:1    MidiSport 2x2                    MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 2
[dhcppc0(root)]
 /root> arecordmidi --port 24:0 oasys.mid

Doing "ls -l oasys.mid" from another window shows oasys.mid as zero
bytes. "arecordmidi --port 24:1 oasys.mid" doesn't work either, though
I believe 24:0 is correct.

I tried opening Qsynth to see if it could receive sound, but I get
this error even though, as shown above, jack is connected:

15:29:52.606 Qsynth1: Failed to create the audio driver (jack). Cannot
continue without it.
fluidsynth: error: Jack server not running?

I tried psycosynth but its not obvious to me how it accepts midi in.

Please help,
- R