[LAU] midi capture of external hardware over usb

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:57:11 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabriel at teuton.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, david wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, couldn't the same thing have been done using midish????
>
> Probably.  I've tried a couple times to learn midish... and
> had the sudden urge to do the dishes.  :-)
>
> -gabriel

Some more options: qmidiroute (GUI), puredata
(semiGUI) and mididings (noGUI) can do
realtime remapping of midi events.

The only one I have experience with is
puredata, never used the others.
An example patch is attached.

I can't tell what is more appropriate in Roberts
case - setting up one of these realtime
translations or editing recorded SMF files.

Since the drum patterns are most likely
loops it would make sense to record them
in a loop based sequencer (like seq24).
For that, syncing the hardware with Jack
transport would be desirable.

Some things I unfortunately don't know:
Does the realtime remapping introduce timing
issues apart from a constant offset fore each note?
How big is the offset?
Does this depend on the app used?

greetings,