[LAU] tracking down xruns

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 23:26:25 EST 2009

hey list,

I've been struggling for the past couple of weeks trying to get my
netbook to perform well as a lightweight music workstation (mostly
synth work, light daw stuff).  I'm getting many, many xruns, clients
getting kicked, etc.  something is clearly not right.  how do I begin
tracking down the source of xruns?  I have an -rt kernel, a usb sound
card using -p256 -n3, running fluxbox with only wicd running to manage
my network.  point is, I've tried the hunt-and-peck method and
(surprise) it hasn't done any good.  how can I go about finding out
what exactly is tripping jack up, and what I can do to stop it?

(PS - I've said it before:  maybe I'm expecting too much of a netbook.
 could that be it?)

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com