[LAU] tuning midi to alternative temperaments

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Tue Dec 22 03:28:04 EST 2009

Quoting Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> I have a piano (I am not sure what to call a touch sensitive 7-octave
> Casio) that has 7 tunings: Equal, Just, Werckmeister-III and so on.
> I try always to fit my music to the best possible temperament.
>
> So the question: How does one specify alternative temperaments to timidity?

You can't.
The tunings/temperaments are features of the synth playing the sound
and MIDI only cares about which key is pressed for how long. MIDI
can't play 442Hz, it can only play an "A" and let the recieving
equipment decide which frequency should come out of the speaker.

So the only way to have Timidity playing "out of tune" is to find a
SoundFont that matches the temperament you want.