[LAU] [ANN] MusE 1.0

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Dec 22 04:59:53 EST 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 07:01:14 david wrote:
> sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:

> >> Don't rush it. Just keep in mind that there's stuff in Qt4 that doesn't
> >> work that works fine in Qt3, too.
> >
> > TMany that use MusE regularly are more concerned about jackmidi and other
> > features that bring new functionality or interoperability. From my
> > understanding QT4 is more of a cosmetic update and wouldn't necessarily
> > bring more sequencer functionality in. (correct me if I'm wrong) However
> > migrating could require a major overhaul....
> >
> > Robert and Tim have put in a hell of a lot of work in the past year or so
> > and MusE is functioning really really well.  It may look a bit dated..
> > but that's really not the point is it?
>
> I'm no fan of eye candy, and that's what I think 90% of the Qt4-based
> KDE4 *is*. I'd rather have my music computer's processor and memory
> being used for audio than eye candy. ;-)

KDE4 != Qt4

KDE just makes good use of Qt for eye-candy. But other projects make good use
of Qt for very serious non-gui stuff too.

Porting to Qt4 is a lot of work. But lets be honest, its a work that should
have been done years ago. Qt3 is out of support for several years now, why
anybody still writes apps with it is kind of out of my reach.
I know free projects are notoriously short of man-power. But the more you wait
for that porting, the harder it is to find people still knowing about the steps
needed to port. So the longer you wait, the less people you can ask (for free)
about helping you...

And switching to Qt4 is really worth it! Lots more platform-independent basic
stuff with lots cleaner api. And lots nicer gui stuff:-)

Arnold