[LAU] RME Multiface II via direct Alsa (no Jack)

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Wed Dec 23 22:43:38 EST 2009

> Other people have asked this before, but most such threads seem to
> always come to "just use Jack."  Is it impossible to directly access
> these devices from Alsa?  I'm not wanting anything fancy here.  If I do
> have to write a .asoundrc, where do I get the information that HDSPMixer
> seems to innately know about how my channels map to the hardware so I
> can create one?

I solve this problem using an ALSA+PulseAudio+Jackd+ALSA sandwich, so
that ALSA-only apps talk to ALSA which delivers to Pulse (which hands
directly to Jack), non-Jack apps which do Pulse talk to Pulse (still
handing to Jack), and everything else talks directly to Jack.  Here's a
summary:

http://linuxlive.joshuacorps.org/?p=57

J.E.B.