[LAU] play/sox like command with jack output?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Dec 24 13:21:50 EST 2009

On 12/25/2009 12:58 AM, james morris wrote:
> On 24/12/2009, "Esben Stien"<b0ef at esben-stien.name>  wrote:
>
>> You could use pulseaudio with JACK, so that ALSA apps talk to pulse, but
>> outputs audio through JACK.
>>
>> By setting up a map file in pulseaudio, you can let different ALSA apps
>> output on different JACK ports.
>>
> With the ALSA JACK plugin, I am forced to have JACK running, as mentioned
> by Julien. Which is not so great for the times I don't have JACK
> running (which ranges between 25%-75% of the time depending on what I'm
> doing).
>
> Is PulseAudio clever enough to realize when JACK is not running and route
> the audio accordingly?

Yes.

If you use pulse audio as your default sound manager and have a script
to disable, connect and disconnect from jack when jack is
started/stopped you can keep pretty much forget about connection issues.*

Check the recent archives for examples of how to setup pulse to work
with jack. There are several methods.  I currently use a script provided
by Fernando Lopez-Lezcano from CCRMA and have configured qjactkctl to
run it at start/stop.

*Apart from on a 64 bit system. Then things can get murky with pulse and
binary apps like skype, flash, real player etc..

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd