[LAU] resampling flash and gstreamer to 24/192

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sat Dec 26 23:08:32 EST 2009

Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> Yesterday i asked for assistance figuring out how to get mpd + pulse
> audio upsampling to 24/192. The results are *fantastic*  Bass is deeper
> and tighter, decay is longer and vocals are clearer. I don't know why.
> It kinda makes sense and it doesn't. It might all be in my head.

My guess is the latter.

To see if you can tell the difference between the original source at a
sample rate supported by the hardware and the upsampled source, I
suggest you do proper double blind testing:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment#Double-blind_trials

document what you find and then get someone else to repeat your double
blind test to see if your results can be repeated.

The above is science, anything less is snake oil.

I continue to be completely *embarassed* by some of the things I see
people write about sample rate conversion in general and about Secret
Rabbit Code in particular. Personally I won't beleive a word of it
until someone publishes proper test results that have been independently
verified.

Erik